To request an IRS Tax Return Transcript online:
- Visit www.irs.gov
- In the Tools section of the home page, click on "Get Transcript for My Tax Records"
- Click on "Get Transcript Online" or "Get Transcript by Mail."
- The online transcript is available to view and print immediately. The request for the mailed transcript will take 5-10 days to process.
To request an IRS Tax Return Transcript by phone:
- Call the IRS at 800/908-9946
- The caller must follow the prompts to enter his SSN and the numbers in his street address. This is generally the numbers of the street address that was on the latest tax return. However, if a change has been made with the IRS or the USPS, the IRS may have the updated address on file, which must be used. For a joint return, use the primary tax filer's information.
- Select Option 2 to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and enter 2019 for 2021-2022 FAFSA.
- The filer can expect to receive a paper copy of the IRS Tax Return Transcript within 5-10 business days of the request.
- Requests made by phone can not have the IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed to an address other than the address on file with the IRS.
To request an IRS Tax Return Transcript via paper:
- Visit www.irs.gov
- In the "Forms & Pubs" section of home page, find IRS Form 4506T-EZ and download the form.
- Complete lines 1-4, following the instructions on page 2. Note that line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on line 4. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- One line 6, enter the appropriate tax year for the FAFSA. For example, for the 2021-2022 FAFSA, 2019 is the tax year.
- The tax filer, or spouse, if requesting information from a joint tax return, must sign and date the form and enter the telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a Transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed request to the appropriate address or number listed on page 2.
- A tax filer can expect to receive his transcript within 5-10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes the signed request.
- Processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the Transcript